I’m in a process of making a hashtag plugin, based on BuddyPress Activity Stream Hashtags.
The Buddypress Hashtags LS plugin:
- it doesn’t alter the activity contents instead all hashtags are stored in a new db table in order to make lighter queries in activity table
- it supports unicode ex. Greek language
- it provides a “Popular terms” widget.
- it provides a shortcode [ls_bp_hashtags] which accept same arguments as wp_generate_tag_cloud() function.
- in multisite installation it also includes the tags and categories of each post
- in multisite installation, if a hashtag is inside the post content it also has link to the related activity.
I have tested with the latest BP 2 RC. The base functionality seems OK.
Things which need fixing are:
- Unistaller function
- Popular terms” widget. Add parameters
- Related Activity listing. Find a way to display activities from private or hidden groups.
- Create a Activity tab “Terms sitewide”
- Create a “similar activity” widget for use under a blog post in case of multisite installation.
- “Trends”. This is a difficult one 🙂
It would be great if someone try it or even contribute to it.
The alpha version of “BuddyPress Hashtags LS ” is available at https://github.com/lenasterg/ls_bp_hashtags
Keep in mind that it is still alpha version so don’t use it in a production site, cause:
1. The plugin creates a new db table, which is not deleted when the plugin is deactivated.
2. The plugin alters the activity contents by adding a link to each tag, prior inserting into the activity table. This link don’t change when the plugin is deactivated.