I just updated the Buddypress Hashtags plugin.
In this version 1.2 two options were added in the Buddypress Hashtags Settings page:
1. Display or not the “#” infront of the hashtags in widgets and in hashtag cloud.
2. (For multisite). If the blog’s post’s taxonomy (categories, tags) should also included in the hashtags list.
“BuddyPress Hashtags LS ” is available at https://github.com/lenasterg/ls_bp_hashtags
In general, the Buddypress Hashtags LS plugin, “mimics” the Twitter hashtag behaviour, allowed the users to use # to tag a topic into there activity update and into their blog’s post (for multisite installations).
- it supports unicode ex. Greek language
- it provides a “Popular terms” widget.
- it provides a shortcode [ls_bp_hashtags] which accept same arguments as wp_generate_tag_cloud() function.
- in multisite installation it also includes the tags and categories of each post
- in multisite installation, if a hashtag is inside the post content it also has link to the related activity.
- it doesn’t alter the activity contents instead all hashtags are stored in a new db table in order to make lighter queries in activity table
I have tested it with BuddyPress 2. The base functionality seems OK.
It would be great if someone try it or even contribute to it.
The alpha version of “BuddyPress Hashtags LS ” is available at https://github.com/lenasterg/ls_bp_hashtags
Keep in mind that it is still under heavy developement so don’t use it in a production site.
The plugin creates a new db table, which is not deleted when the plugin is deactivated.